Canterbury Museum c. 1905
Canterbury Museum, in Christchurch's Cultural Precinct is housed in a beautiful stone building which first opened in 1870. The original buildings were designed by B W Mountfort. When the Canterbury Pilgrims arrived on 16 December 1850 Mountfort was one of the first settlers ashore and he lived and worked in Canterbury for the rest of his life. As an architect he designed most of the public buildings that give Christchurch its distinctive Gothic Revival character, including the Museum and the Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings.
1955 81 677