Ngā Taonga tuku iho o Ngā Tūpuna
Treasures Left to Us by the Ancestors
Incorporating a reconstruction of a Māori village scene on Te Pātaka o Rākaihautu (Banks Peninsula), open displays of whakairo (carvings), pounamu (greenstone) and other taonga (treasures), Ngā Taonga tuku iho o ngā Tūpuna explores what life was like for Māori in Aotearoa New Zealand from approximately 1500 AD until the arrival of Europeans around 1800 AD.
The displays include exhibits of pounamu adornments, musical instruments, weapons, clothing, implements used in the garden, and tools for harvesting food from the forest and sea.
The gallery also displays taonga and images of the t'chakat Moriori, the indigenous people of Rēkohu (Chatham Islands) situated about 900 km east of Aotearoa. T'chakat Moriori also voyaged from East Polynesia before settling in their remote and demanding island homeland.
Canterbury Museum acknowledges Ngāi Tūāhuriri and Ngāi Tahu as mana whenua, the people with authority over this area. In partnership with mana whenua, the Museum is privileged to care for taonga Māori (treasures) from across Aotearoa New Zealand.