Concord and Industry, two terracotta statues by English artist George Frampton, graced the Worcester Boulevard exterior of the former Christchurch civic building, the Municipal Chambers (later Our City O-Tautahi) from 1887.
The statues represent appropriate ideals for a municipal authority; harmony in affairs of state and the virtues of commerce and diligence. After the building was damaged in the February 2011 earthquake the statues were removed and stored.
Although very fragile, they can be safely displayed lying down. Future conservation work will stabilise the statues so that they can once more stand upright on the exterior of Our City O-Tautahi.
The statues are on temporary display at Quake City on loan from Christchurch City Council.
Quake City, 99 Cashel Street. Admission Charges apply
Images (L to R) Municipal Chambers facing Worcester Boulevard, W A Taylor 1968.213.676, Concord and Industry at Quake City